For those following along, here’s a quick update of our lives right now.
- Nathan will turn THREE next month! THREE. Crazy. He’s super smart (and I’m not just biased). He recognizes all of his letters and knows most of their sounds. He can count to 16 (sometimes he confuses 13 and 14). His vocabulary compares to a 4 or 5 year old and he speaks in complete sentences very clearly. He’s pretty much potty trained during the day and is learning how to swim.
- Alex is almost 17 months old and is very smart as well. (Again, I’m not just biased.) She can say at least 30 words already and understands many more. She’s our monkey and is determined to do anything her brother does. Except swim. She doesn’t like any water except the water in our baby pool or a puddle in the yard. We call her our “itty bitty” because she’s so small. About 21 pounds right now, but very healthy.
- Craig is working hard, as always, to not only support our family but to save for our adoption. He’s pretty much amazing.
- I’m still doing the crafting thing. Mostly painting right now, which I love. I’ll post some pictures of my recent stuff soon.
- We’re back on the fitness bandwagon and ready to be healthy for life! We’ve been doing pretty well for the last year, but can always do better. I’m starting some crossfit exercises at home with a friend. We’re training to one day compete! I’m probably more excited about it than I should be. 🙂
- We’re also narrowing down adoption locations. I think we’ll come to a decision within the next week or two. We’ll let you know!
- We have about HALF of the funds needed to adopt. And we haven’t officially started the paperwork! God is amazing.
I think that’s all the big stuff. Now you’re all caught up. Did you even know you were behind?
We had our first big fundraiser push last night. For those who have been following, you know we had a “date night” planned for last night here in our neighborhood. We grilled chicken, made lowcountry boil, stuffed ourselves with appetizers and desserts, danced the night away, and made some money in the process! It did my heart a lot of good to see our friends come together to show their support for us. We know some amazing people.
I’ve been told the evening was a success and we’ve already been asked to do it again! Our hope of offering this fundraiser yearly just might come true!
We made $484 just from the sale of tickets and donations last night. Adding that to donations that were given prior to the event and again this morning, we have currently raised $3,141. Not too shabby at all! And that’s not including the money Craig and I have personally been saving. God is providing just as we knew He would. Thanks to all who made last night a success and to all who have helped make our fundraising a success so far! We’re one tenth of the way there already! Not even 3 months after deciding to adopt!
I’d also like to give a shout out to our band last night. They came and played FOR FREE because they wanted to help with the fundraiser. And they were AWESOME. Go find them on Facebook. www.facebook.com/onahillband. Their lead singer, Alex, also plays with the Freedom Church worship band.
And stay tuned for updates on the adoption process as we make decisions. Also stayed tuned for more opportunities to support us. We’ll be holding auctions, giveaways, and more in the coming months. I’m even hearing rumors of a 5k/half marathon hopefully in the works!
There are only TWO WEEKS left to RSVP for our Raising Hope fundraiser. We’re really hoping this event is going to be a success. Not just for our adoption, but because I want to hold this event yearly to raise money for other adopting families. However, things are looking a tad disappointing. Not many people are signing up. I really hope it’s just because we live in a little tiny town where everyone (including me) waits until the last minute to get things done. 🙂
Haven’t heard about the Raising Hope fundraiser yet?! Visit the Facebook page for it HERE. It’s a “date night” of sorts that we are hosting to raise money for our adoption. There will be live music, dancing, dinner, dessert, photography, and MUCH more. It’s going to be amazing. And tickets are only $30/couple. That’s less than you’d pay for a dinner out! (Without the music and awesome people!) 🙂
Please do us a favor and spread the word about this event. Invite your friends. Invite your family. Tickets would make a great gift to give a couple who needs a night out. We even have a few babysitters we can send your way if you need them.
We received our introduction packet in the mail today with some papers that need to be signed. When we send those papers back to the agency, we also need to send over $10,000 to get things started. We’ll be honest with you. It’s going to be tight to find all of that money so quickly without using up a good portion of our savings. It would be a huge blessing for this fundraiser to be a success so that we can start the home study process and still have money in case of emergency.
We’re not begging for money. We know without a doubt that God will provide the money if this is His will for us (and we believe it is). But we also believe that God uses others to accomplish His will. Maybe He wants to use your purchase of tickets to help us adopt a child.
This question has come up a couple of times in the past few weeks. Why raise funds? There are a lot of other families who adopt who never have to raise money. Why do we? Well, there are a couple of reasons.
This was a very quick decision. If you read about why we decided to adopt, you’ll know that while we’ve always been open to the idea of adoption, it’s never been something we planned on doing until recently. Because of that, this is all coming together VERY quickly, including funding.
We haven’t been saving for adoption until recently. Because we were able to have our own kids, we haven’t been saving for adoption for years – we’ve been paying Birth Center and midwife fees. We only started saving to adopt when we decided to adopt – which was not even two months ago. Yes, we have a savings account. And a good portion of that will go to our adoption fund. But it’s not nearly enough to cover the cost of an international adoption (which will be upwards of $30,000).
Adoption is expensive. Especially international adoption. In addition to adoption, agency, and country fees, there will be plane tickets, hotels, Passports, Visas, and more travel induced costs. It’s a lot of money. And while it’d be nice if Craig made millions of dollars, he doesn’t. 🙂 We just can’t save this kind of money on our own in the time frame we have.
That’s where the fundraising comes in. We’re counting on everyone around us to help us with this. We need you. Not only will you be helping to give an orphan a better life, you’ll be helping us show others that funding an adoption IS POSSIBLE. You’ll be answering God’s call to ALL believers to care for orphans and widows. And we fully believe that God will bless you for your gift. Whether is financial, prayer, time, etc. God will bless your gift.
Hopefully that answered some questions for those who might have been confused. Feel free to ask away if you have more. 🙂
We’re in the planning process for the first big fundraiser event for our adoption. I’m really excited about it! My friend Heather is the brains behind it and is going to make it so fantastic! It’s such a great idea that if I wasn’t the one helping to plan it, I’d be enjoying it myself! Do you want to know what it is? Keep reading!
At the end of April we will be throwing a “date night” of sorts for couples in the Moncks Corner area. It will be held at the pavilion area at Foxbank Plantation and will be a fun-filled night of live music, dancing, appetizers, dinner, dessert, candlelight, and more.
We’re looking for people to help us with planning and executing the event. If you’d like to help, PLEASE let me know. We’ll need all of the help we can get to pull this off!
Some areas of help we are going to need:
- People to make/bring appetizers
- People to make/bring desserts
- People to help with dinner prep
- Clean up crew
- Food servers
- Ticket collectors
- People to spread the word about it!
And, of course, we’ll need lots of people buying tickets. 🙂